For
my final I would like to take an in depth look at the questionable dolphin
fishing practices that happen several times throughout the year in Japan. I have very little knowledge on the topic, but understand
that it is becoming a larger social issue presently due to exposure from
contemporary media. The unique moment in history in which we find ourselves has the
ability to spread information worldwide over an extremely short period of time,
faster than has ever been possible, because of invention of
the internet. For my final paper I plan on making an in depth analysis of the
2009 documentary film The Cove, which
illustrates the issue (albeit from a decidedly biased point-of-view, which I
will take into account when writing the paper), and how widespread dissemination
of the film made the issue visible and urgent. Then I plan on exploring how
social media, like Twitter, has also played a crucial role in giving the issue a
similar kind of global and current, immediate visibility that would have never
been possible before the present time. I want to be sure to present both sides
of the issue, taking into account the tradition of the Japanese people but also
the rights of these animals themselves; from what others have related to me
(although not necessarily animal experts by any means), dolphins are some of the
smartest animals on the planet and what happens to them in these fishing scenarios is essentially murder.
I will also present my own viewpoint and position on the topic, to frame where
my own biases may lie (mostly for the benefit of my reader).
No comments:
Post a Comment