Space
for physical or “psycheogeographical” disruption, creativity, resistance or
solidarity could take place within a zoological park or individuals acting in
conjunction with the movements of a traveling circus. These kinds of
attractions put animals on display far removed from their natural habitat, and
treat these creatures more as attractions than living beings. This
understanding of human-animal relations is extremely inhumane, is physically
and mentally demeaning to the animal, and leads to the reorganization of
animals as objects, goods to be commoditized and exploited as the “owner” sees
fit. From this viewpoint then, one should understand that the animals on
display in zoos and forced to act in circuses are in essence prisoners and itemized
products.
In
order to disrupt this destructive course of reasoning, the activist must
reorient the common man’s understanding of these public spaces and shows
towards his or her way of thinking. This disruption could take the form of some
kind of performance art on par with the actions of the Diggers of San Francisco,
asking the viewing public to become actors themselves in the scenario. If one
is going to involve any kind of being against their will in a lifetime of
servitude through entertainment we must consider fully how their captivity and forced
actions will affect them. When these animals are held captive in tiny spaces
and removed from their natural habitat and social structures it is easy to see
how, like humans, they can rapidly physically and mentally deteriorate.
Personally, that is why I feel I have always felt a deep sense of sadness I
felt for the animals in the zoo whenever I went; even as a child I knew these
animals were living a foreign and likely frightening existence in the little
plastic shell humans had created for them. Maybe not on that level at that
time, but I do understand the realities of the situation much more readily now.
The
specific disruption of this kind of unnatural and immoral imprisonment and
exploitation of living beings would then therefore be focused mainly on
reorienting other people’s understanding of human-animal relations. The longest
lasting change that these groups can strive for falls under concrete change to
legislation that allows the inhumane treatment of animals and disregard for
human life to take place. There are groups like PETA that are working towards
these ends, however I personally see their tactics as being a bit too radical
and off-putting to garner any real, substantial change from the masses. I
believe that in order for concerned people to facilitate actual change they
must help others empathize with the plight of the animals in their lives,
forced into prison-like isolation and bondage for a few passing moments of
human entertainment.
No comments:
Post a Comment